Sunday, May 4, 2008

ESRB: Earthbound IS Coming to the VC??

I don't usually report things like this, because you might as well consider it 'rumor' status. This has not been officially confirmed by Nintendo of America, however, it seems that Earthbound is indeed coming to the Virtual Console.

The ESRB has it listed, with a rating of 'E' (the SNES game was rated 'KA' under the old rating system), and the platform listed is 'Wii'. So... naturally, one assumes this means the VC.

However, Nintendo of America has not officially commented on this, or made an announcement. We need to remember that. This news is being reported all over the web that the game has been 'confirmed'.

Well, I won't consider it a 'confirmation' until NoA says something. Sometimes these things do happen. For example, sometimes Amazon has listings for items that are actually not being released, or have had no official release announcement. Best Buy also posted a PS3 remake of Final Fantasy VII on their site right before the PS3 was released, and absolutely no such announcement was ever made that this game was even being made, never mind being released. In fact, Squenix kept saying 'No, we are not working on this game'.

So my point is, I'm not considering this a 'definite' thing until NoA officially says that it is. However, there is hope. If this game is on the VC, this could potentially mean the biggest thing of all; IF enough people bought EB on the VC... then MAYBE NoA will release Mother 3, eventually... I wish my hopes were exceedingly high.... However, I am trying to be positive.

You know, it is definitely eerie that right after the results of Nintendo Power's poll were released, this information from the ESRB was uncovered.... ¬ ¬ So stay tuned for more news.

Source:
Starmen.net

Digg this

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Nintendo Power's Virtual Console Poll: Earthbound WINS the Top!!

The results are in from Nintendo Power's poll of most wanted games for the Virtual Console. As I reported, Starmen.net urged fans to vote for Earthbound, and Mother, if you like (since Mother 3 is a GBA game, it's likely not ever coming to the VC, if it were to be released). The results... are surprising.

The official results read:
1) Earthbound
2) Super Mario RPG
3) Chrono Trigger
4) Mother
5) Majora's Mask

Yes. Earthbound DID get the top spot for the most wanted game people who voted want for the VC. And Mother got spot #4. Wow. I did not foresee this, at all.

And check that out, Super Mario RPG beat Chrono Trigger??? And Earthbound even beat Chrono Trigger. Wow. Just... wow. That's really something. And I don't know what the hell Majora's Mask is even doing on there. But will Nintendo of America listen to this either? Most likely not. I do hate to say it, but Nintendo is just so dead set on NOT releasing these games, they won't listen to ANYTHING.

But congratulations to us, the fans, anyway, for making our demands known. Let's hope for our demands to be met anyway, but... don't get your hopes up too much...

Source:
Starmen.net

Digg this

Saturday, April 26, 2008

EB Siege: PK Tube'N, from Starmen.net



I've mentioned Starmen.net's movement to bring Mother 3, and even the other two games (Mother 2 having been the only game released in North America, as Earthbound), to North America before. Last year, they started a massive campaign of demand against Nintendo of America, called EB Siege. It consisted of PK Call'N, in which you call NoA to tell them your demand for Mother 3, and the other games if you like; PK Mail'N, in which you send NoA a postcard (or letter) to demand Mother 1/2/3; and NP-Env-Art, in which you send Nintendo Power envelope art, old-school style, related to Mother 1/2/3.

They have now announced a new stage in EB Siege: PK Tube'N.

As mentioned before, NoA removed the tiny Mother 2 demo (which would have been Earthbound here) from the North American release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and thus, the fan community sees this as a very, very bad sign. As I wrote about previously, I think this was the last nail in the Mother coffin, from NoA. They don't WANT to bring Mother 3 here, or any Mother game, and are tired of fans demanding it. This new stage in EB Siege was devised. In this one, as you may have guessed, you make a video expressing your demand for Mother 3, and Mother/Earthbound games. Starmen.net is holding a contest for the best video, as well. You can read the rules on the link below.

The thread says to enter the contest, you must reply to SMN's YouTube post. But I guess if you want Nintendo to see your video directly, you'd...have to mail it to them or something? See, this stage in EB Siege is not as direct-to-Nintendo as the other stages were. On the surface, that makes it sound less useful. If you just post supportive videos online (not necessarily YouTube), well, your chance of being heard by Nintendo is probably not nearly as good as it would be if you sent NoA something directly. But it's something. If you do make a great video that a lot of people watch, then word can spread. But...again, that's bit of a roll of the dice.

Well, here's hoping that SOMETHING works, but I once again say that it's extremely unlikely that NoA will ever listen to any fan support for this series at all, no matter how great it becomes.

Source:
Starmen.net's PK Tube'N Post

Digg this

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Nintendo Power Virtual Console Poll: Vote for Earthbound!

The newest issue of Nintendo Power asks readers to let them know what classic games they want to see on the Virtual Console, and want readers' lists of the top 5 choices they have for games, and the results will be posted 'in an upcoming issue'.

However, take note that NP does say "This is for polling purposes only, and will in no way determine future Virtual Console releases".

'In no way'? Then why bother? Well, they are a magazine who is simply asking for audience feedback. That's part of it. But also, well, maybe Nintendo of America will take notice of some of the most popular choices, and consider putting them out on the VC.

Naturally, Starmen.net is all over this, and suggests that if people want Mother and Earthbound/Mother 2 on the VC, they should put these games on their list.

As I have shared, it now seems astronomically unlikely that NoA is going to ever touch the Mother series again; they don't want to release Mother 3, and it seems that Earthbound will not be on the VC, by Nintendo's planning.

But you know what, do it anyway. Put the Mother games on your list and send it to Nintendo Power anyway.

Oh and the other 3 games can be whatever you want. Go nuts. :P

Mail your lists to Nintendo Power at vcpoll@futureus.com.

Source: Starmen.net

Digg this

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mother Knows Best; NoA Does Not

Many people will not find this to be a big deal in any sense, but I think it represents a significant message to fans of the Mother series; Mother 2 was released in North America as Earthbound, on the SNES.

Fans were most excited when Super Smash Bros. Brawl included the all-new Lucas, from Mother 3, which has not been released by Nintendo of America here, among the roster of playable fighters. The excitement increased as news of other various elements from Mother 3 were included in the game as well. And then it was revealed that veteran Smash Bros. fighter Ness, from Mother2/Earthbound was returning, and his hometown of Onett is an arena. Mr. Saturn, from Earthbound, also returns as an item and trophy, and the music Snowman (from Mother 1 and 2) is a track in the game. Earthbound fans couldn't be happier to see these things in a new game, especially if this can help promote the series for a possible release of Mother 3, and maybe the other 2 games as well (Note: Mother 1+2 was a two-in-one game for the Game Boy Advance in Japan, before Mother 3 came out. It was not released overseas, but would be an easy way to do it).

However, there is one element from this series that does not remain. In 'Brawl's Masterpieces section, there are demos from various Nintendo games that can be unlocked. There is a demo of Mother 2 in the Japanese edition of the game. This should be a demo of Earthbound, thusly, in the U.S. edition of the game. However, the demo of Mother 2/Earthbound was removed by Nintendo of America.

There doesn't seem to be any real reason for NoA to even bother removing just a demo from the game. But it's just a demo, you may be wondering 'So what?'

I think there may be a certain message NoA is giving to the fans with this strange move, and a lot of fans are not happy because they get similar feelings.

The Earthbound/Mother community and fan base is VERY strong and VERY vocal, and they DEMAND Mother 3, which is almost 2 years old in Japan, be brought over to North America. NoA is very aware of this fan base, and quite honestly, they don't seem to care. The fans have made themselves more than known to NoA, and have made their wish more than clear. And NoA has done nothing, and have said before in the past that they don't have Mother 3 on the horizon, and will probably never get to it, even though the fans demand it.

And then there's the Virtual Console, which has the potential for a vast gallery of great and classic games. Fans have hoped that Earthbound (and possibly even Mother) would be released on the VC. It was being reported by Starmen.net, the giant Mother/Earthbound fan site, that NoA 'is' going to release Earthbound on the VC 'soon', or 'eventually'. Well, apparently, that depends on what your definition of 'is' is, because there has been no word or evidence that NoA actually is planning to do this; nothing official, anyway. And this was first being reported late last summer. Even members of Starmen.net are now wondering if it actually is true, and if the game will come to the VC at all...

Naturally, if NoA was planning to release Earthbound on the VC, then keeping the demo of the game in 'Brawl would make a lot of sense, and also be convenient. However, if they are planning to release the game to VC, then why remove the demo that could actually help promote the game, and gain interest in it? But why bother wasting the time and effort at all?



Essentially, I think that most likely, Nintendo of America is giving the fans of Mother and Earthbound a giant 'Fuck Off', with the removal of this simple demo.

They know what the fans want, and they don't want to give the fans what they want. They are likely very tired of hearing the fans demands, and probably even pleas and begging, for a game or games that they simply do not want to release.

Nintendo of America does not want to bring Mother 3 here.

Nintendo of America does not seem to care about the Mother series.

Nintendo of America doesn't even seem to want to re-release a game from the series that they already released once before, and one that also has a strong, loyal and grateful fan base. By the way, in regards to the original Mother, for the NES, NoA actually did translate that game as well, but backed out at the last minute and did not release it. So NoA has two games they completely translated, and even though one was not released, it's still already been done, and they don't care to release either one.

Nintendo of America does not care what the fans want.

I, and other fans, really can't see any other logical reason for NoA ignoring all of these things, and then also bothering to remove an Earthbound demo from 'Brawl, especially if it could be useful for a re-release of the game. You may think I'm reading more into this than there really is there, but given Nintendo's history with all of this, I doubt I'm at least not far off.

I may be wrong, and in the end, maybe Earthbound will be on the VC. But I think this is just a greater sign that NoA is just overall ignoring the series, as well as the fans. I certainly doubt we will see Mother 3 soon, if ever. I'm sadly not holding my breath.

So if you do care about the series, what can YOU do?

Well, Starmen.net held their EB Siege Campaign last year, in which fans wrote letters and cards, sent envelope art, and called Nintendo of America, letting them know of their demand for Mother 3, and even the other 2 games. Fans are still encouraged to do these things. And fans have already started asking questions about the removal of the demo. Apparently, they are not really getting answers though...I wouldn't expect NoA to release an official statement about this; they'll just ignore it. But keep watching for more news.


Starmen.net's Newspost and NoA Contact Information

Digg this