Monday, June 9, 2008

COMING NEVER- Prepare for Dinner!




Auy...

Sorry for no comics for the past couple of weeks...Some things have been going on. I was out of town one week, and another week, there was just too much really going on....I should be back on track now...Although Shin has disappeared to Parts Unknown, as he often does... ¬ ¬ 

I know this is a pretty stupid comic. But it was just a cheap gag I thought of. It was also fun to draw Leonidas. I love 300; the movie and the original funnybook by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley. Great stuff. The movie was really well done. especially in following along with the comic; just like Sin City did. although that one was not made by the same people.

Also, color! :O There's a bit of color in this one! That's my homage to Frank Miller there. Although, the book was fully in color, by Lynn Varley...

Some people complained that 300 was not a 'realistic' movie, and point out all the historical flaws. Well, did it ever occur to anyone that this was done on purpose? That's done in movies all the time. Hell, look at anything Oliver Stone has done; he deliberately ignores history and the facts all the time. This is where you know that there are people who don't know some backstory about this movie, and the comics. Frank Miller loves the ancient Greeks and has studied them a lot. He KNOWS what he did, and why there were inaccuracies. Yes, he did it on purpose. You think that he doesn't know that the Spartans...wore...uh, armor? Of course he does. Also, there weren't ONLY 300 Spartans at the battle of Thermopylae; there were other warriors there, as well. Altogether, I think there was about 800 or so warriors. Miller was really focusing on the legend of the 300 warriors, and glorifying them greatly. Why is that so hard to understand or accept?

It's a movie, so you have to take it with a grain of salt anyway, and if you do try to take it too literally, well, then you won't enjoy it. But if you've already decided you want to see an EXACT re-creation, you're not going to enjoy it anyway. So I say, take it for what it is, and enjoy it.

Or not. It's up to you. I love the movie, and the book.

Digg this

3 Comments:

Punch said...

OH MY GOD! INTENTIONAL GLORIFICATION! BURN IIIITTTT!

Or, you know, just accept that this was the goddamn point and enjoy the goddamn movie as a MOVIE. 9___9

I wuvs 300 too, as you well know. But sigh, I hate that Arby's joke....

Shirow Wolf said...

D:

Yeah, really. Some people just can't accept it's a movie and should be enjoyed. Sure, there are legitimate criticisms you can make about it, and that's fine. But don't take it too seriously.

Well....I made this comic some time ago, actually....It was early this year, although I couldn't tell you exactly when. Yeah, I know, it's dumb.. :P

Thanks for coming by to comment! <3

Freebies4You said...

Yeah, it was a good movie. I'm only jaded against it because I read the book, "Gates of Fire" by Stephen Pressfield, which was an amazing book about the Spartans a few months before I saw the movie. It has a much better storyline than does 300. I hear at some point they are supposed to make a movie out of it.

I thought some parts of 300 were a little overdone and cheesy, but I still enjoyed the movie nonetheless.