Monday, April 28, 2008

COMING NEVER: Cutting Ties



Not all comics will be like this, in which we’re sitting in front of a computer, presumably looking at the internet, mention a movie, and then an imaginary setting emerges. This is only the second week, and only the second time I’ve done this pattern so far. Things will be different as time goes on. :P

I’m not sure why they decided to put Gambit in the movie of Wolverine’s origin, as opposed to one of the actual X-Men movies. Hopefully they won’t tie his actual origin in with Gambit too much, and preferably not really at all. So I’m not really sure if this will work out very well. Gambit used to really be hot stuff when he was introduced in the funnybooks, and for many years after that. I don’t think he’s retained quite the same amount of popularity today though. I do think of him as kind of a joke nowadays. He may have been cool once, but not so much now. We can only hope he won’t be a joke in the Wolverine movie. However, that won’t really stop us from making jokes about him anyway.

The last panel there is kind of a Frank Miller homage, even though Miller’s Wolverine was not in black and white. I just thought it would be neat to have Wolverine looking like a bad ass at the end.

Speaking of funnybooks into movies, Iron Man opens this Friday. I suppose I should have maybe made some kind of Iron Man comic to commemorate, but I never thought about it. And I can’t think of what I would say even now. Maybe sometime in the future if I can think of something.

Digg this

2 Comments:

Shin Lord said...

I like it that we're always sitting in front of the computer surfing the web for useless movie trivia, because that's exactly what we do in real life.

Gambit has always been a joke to me, even in X-Men vs Street Fighter. He yells out "Credit Card" when he throws his stupid cards. OK, I know he actually says "Kinetic Card", but it still sucks. His other moves are Cajun Slash, Cajun Explosion, Cajun Strike, and Look at Me I'm a Cajun. Only Dan Hibiki is lamer than him, but his lameness makes Dan cool.

Frank Miller-style Logan looks creepy enough.

Shirow Wolf said...

Yeah, kind of. :P But not all comics will be in this format. You'll see what else I've got coming up soon. :D I just wish I could do more than 1 a week... :<

There's nothing cool about Dan Hibiki. Gambit is cooler because he's NOT Dan. :P But yeah, he's lost a lot of the popularity he once had anyway..I'm just wondering what they want to do with him in the movie about Wolverine. But since he's not in any X-Men movies, maybe he does get killed. :D But I doubt it.