Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Movie Review: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Starring:
Johnny Depp, Keira Knightly, Orlando Bloom, Geoffrey Rush, Chow Yun-Fat, Bill Nighy, Jonathan Pryce, Jack Davenport

Director:
Gore Verbinski (Mouse Hunt, The Ring)

MPAA Rating:
PG-13 for intense sequences of action/adventure violence and some frightening images.

Release Date:
May 2007

Synopsis:
As the age of piracy comes to a close, Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann must sail off the edge of the map, navigate treachery and betrayal, and make their final alliances for one last decisive battle. Our heroes must face Lord Cutler Beckett, Davy Jones and Admiral James Norrington in a titanic showdown that could eliminate the freedom-loving pirates from the seven seas - forever.

My Two Cents:
I’ll start by saying I didn’t watch any of the three Pirates of the Caribbean movies in theaters because I am not a fan of pirates. I don’t care about the way they talk, their treasure stealing, songs, excessive alcohol consumption, and all that other crap pirates are associated with. I do like Johnny Depp and Jerry Bruckheimer so I gave the first PotC a shot on DVD.

I remember I watched it with my sister and my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and they both fell asleep about 2/3 into the movie. Each of them had only fallen asleep once before, my sister with the first X-MEN and my wife with Blade Runner. Curse of the Black Pearl seemed too long and I just didn’t care about any of the characters, especially Elizabeth Swann. Everyone else that saw it loved it, especially my mom. About two years later I rented Dead Man’s Chest and for reasons I have yet to understand I really enjoyed it, along with my wife. The cliffhanger ending did suck, but now I couldn’t wait for part 3.

A few weeks ago I finally rented At World’s End, and although I had fun with a few scenes I was mostly disappointed with the film. This time I almost fell asleep halfway, and I never fall asleep watching movies. The first movie focused a lot on Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann’s romance, and I’m not a romantic fool so I didn’t care for it. The second movie was more about adventuring and had Jack Sparrow in a more important role, and I totally dug that. Now, for part 3, they went back to Will and Elizabeth’s romance, and Sparrow isn’t even in the movie for more than 30 minutes.



I detest Elizabeth Swann and can’t imagine her surviving a day on a pirate ship. She looks so puny and fragile. For reasons that elude me she is all over At World’s End, from start to finish. She is even named King of Pirates, or some shit like that. What the fuck? Now, I do like Will and felt bad that his bride-to-be was being a whore in part 2, but for part 3 he’s more bad-ass and likeable. He literally goes to hell and back for the love of his life. Once Sparrow finally shows up he enjoys plenty of screen time, but there are so many fucking characters that take the simple fun of the first film away.

The final battle after Calypso goes apeshit and the Black Pearl squares off with the Flying Dutchman is awesome. There’s so much shit going on that you lose track of time, but it’s really fun. Too bad the rest of the film is so dull.

The Pirates of the Caribbean series is a giant gold mine for Disney, but I really hope they don’t do a fourth installment or at least wait about 5 years to make it. There is only so much you can do with stinking pirates without milking them dry.

Score:

Digg this

2 Comments:

Shirow Wolf said...

You know, most people seem to really love The Curse of the Black Pearl the most. I can see why. It was a new thing, and well, in a lot of ways, it just works the best. I've never heard anyone say they love Dead Man's Chest the most. But I...sort of understand why....But yeah, the problem with that is, the cliffhanger ending. But then again, The Empire Strikes Back has a cliffhanger ending too, and a lot of people love 'Empire the most. :/

Anyway, I love these movies. All 3 of them. Jack really does steal scenes, and he's...just silly to watch. But I also really love Rush as Barbossa. He really made his own unique character out of his part. Yeah, he looks and sounds like a stereotypical pirate, but so what? It's awesome.

I also can't help but love Davy Jones, too. He's just a great, very evil villain. But then again, you learn that, like Vader, he's not completely evil and heartless; although Jones wanted to BE heartless, literally...He was basically the Devil of the Seas, because that's what you were doing if you made a deal with him. It was also funny in this movie when they had to leave a trail of buckets for him to step in, to stand on the beach. That was just awesome, and silly.

You do have to wonder how Elizabeth did survive as long as she did, but well, I guess she just...learned that you have to BE tough to survive in the world? She very likely learned a lot in her first adventure, and she just kept going with it throughout the series. I don't really understand 'hating' her as much as you do, but I can see her not being your favorite character.

The last two movies do have some issues, sure; in DMC, the entire time on the cannibal island, while has humorous moments, is a pretty pointless venture, for example. I suppose you could say that's one thing that makes it an adventure movie, but, well, the series is already an adventure series anyway. Also, although I do love the movies, sometimes they really do seem as long as they actually are, and you do feel okay, maybe this is too long, and they probably could have clipped it a bit.

But see, I think people who love TCotBP expected and even demanded that all 3 movies be the same movie. This is what seems to always happen with popular trilogies. I have pointed out before this is what happened with The Matrix trilogy; people loved the first movie, and demanded the other two movies to be the exact same movie, again. Well, why not just watch the first movie 3 times if you want that? And what if all 3 movies WERE exactly the same? then people would have COMPLAINED about that. There really is no way to please everyone, and one should not even try. There should be levels of consistency, and there should be continuity, and each movie should have similar feelings, but they should not all be the same movie.

So while there are issues about in this series, and you could say some things could have been done 'better', I just can't help but love the series. It's great fun, has great characters and humor, as well as a decent story.

It's still unknown if there will be any more movies or not. Johnny Depp himself has said he'd be up to doing 6 movies; so they could get 3 more out of him. But it's unclear if this will happen. I do think you're right that they should wait several years before they think about making another one. It wouldn't be 'bad' by definition if they made another movie, or how ever many more movies, but I do feel like things are pretty locked up the way they are. So I don't know. We'll see.

Unknown said...

I watch Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End movie 9 times .I loved when everybody laughed after Jack said:"what's in that?".