Thursday, April 10, 2008

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Top 5 Brawlers (Shirow Wolf)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl has been out for a month now, and it's been a monster success. Certainly it was the most anticipated Wii game, but I'd say overall the most anticipated game on any Nintendo system in a long time.

I like the game a lot, too. It's far from perfect (the controls are the main problem, especially in Subspace Emissary Mode...), but it's a great play, and Wii owners should definitely check it out. I'm not going to review the game because I don't really have anything significant to say, and nothing different from what everyone else has already said. If you have a Wii, at least play the game. That's it.

However, I am going to present my 'commando' list of my Top 5 Fighters. This isn't a list of who I am necessarily 'best' with, but they are the ones I use the most, feel the most comfortable with, and those I would want to have with me in a major battle. These are all characters I find easy to use as well, but at the same time, they're still great fighters. In no particular order:



Zero Suit Samus: You won't believe how fast she is. Her attacks may not pack the strongest punch, but if you're that quick, it may not matter. Sonic the Hedgehog is TOO fast and you have to be careful with him or you're going to get killed easily; but ZS Samus is just right. She doesn't LOOK that quick necessarily, when the computer is playing her, but when I play her, yeah, she feels fast. This doesn't have anything to do with how she plays, but if you use her taunts... she TALKS. And she sounds... very sultry.

Toon Link: A lot of people have found what I did; Toon Link is surprisingly awesome. He's quick and agile, and a hard striker. His attacks may even be stronger than normal Link's; I'm not sure. Now I like Link in this game, too, but overall prefer Toon Link. they're really not the same. You may not like how he looks art style-wise, but don't let that push you away.

Kirby: I probably could not have completed Subspace Emissary Mode without Kirby, honestly. He was THAT useful (but again, the controls on that mode... are just really not good. Kirby did make it better to get through), and I swear, he was the ONLY character who could get past some of the things in there... As far as being a fighter goes, as is the case in every entry in this series, I have found, Kirby is a prime choice. The floating ability does help A LOT, and will save your life probably more times than you'll be able to recall. And of course, he's a very versatile fighter, being able to take attacks from opponents by using his infamous vacuum technique. But Kirby has strong attacks on his own as well; he's overall just extremely useful.

Falco Lombardi: Yeah, Falco. I like Falco. He's GOOD in this game. He has a lot of speed, is a decent jumper, and has hard-striking attacks. He's... sort of like Fox McCloud, I suppose, but better. The two are not exactly the same, and I find Falco is surprisingly good. He's got me through a lot of tough battles. I've turned to him a lot. But...be careful using the Falco Phantasm... it goes far so make sure you don't use it too close to an edge...

Meta Knight: He is a lot like Kirby, as others have already noted. He doesn't have the vacuum ability, of course. He also has a floating ability that will save your life, and it helps to give him a great recovery rate, which will definitely save you many, many, many times. He does have decent attacks, and is a very formidable fighter. If I can't have Kirby, then often times I want Meta Knight as a close substitute.

Now here's my list of the top 5 fighters who I also like, but just didn't make my final Top 5 list. It's not my Bottom 5 fighters, but rather the honorable mentions who didn't quite make it. In no particular order:



Marth: He is similar to Ike, but I find Marth better simply because he's faster. That's really it. It was a VERY close call to have Marth in the final Top 5, and I do like Marth, and he is a great fighter... But just barely didn't make it.

Wolf O'Donnell: I was surprised at how much ass this guy kicks. I mean, really. Yeah, he's sort along the same line as Fox and Falco, but I'd say better than Fox, but... just not quite as good as Falco. I'd prefer to have to rely on Falco, ever so slightly, so he just barely didn't make the final 5. I still like Wolf a lot though.

Solid Snake: I couldn't wait to try Snake, and he only sort of disappointed. He actually is LIKE a snake; he crawls along, but he strikes fast and hard. He is quite dangerous and is a great fighter. But well, because of his overall lack of much speed, I would not be able to rely on him a whole lot. SNAAAAAAKE!!

Link: I relied on Link a lot at first, but then I unlocked Toon Link... Link is still excellent, but with Toon Link being overall better, Link just didn't make the final 5. He probably would have, if Toon Link was not in the game.

Pikachu: He got me through some difficult times in SSE, and overall is a decent fighter, with preferable agility, and some of those attacks are pretty strong. But I prefer a fighter with more 'weight', I guess, as part of it. And I just felt better handling some other fighters instead, and with more, stronger attacks.

Digg this

0 Comments: