Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Dragon Ball Z Movie Castings



Oh boy, just when I had completely forgotten about it, news on the Dragon Ball Z movie begin to surface. Don’t get me wrong, I dig Dragon Ball Z, but a live-action movie has the potential to be horrendous and life-altering. I want it to be amazing and succeed, but there’s almost no way this movie will do the anime series any justice.

Remember that kid from War of the Worlds who played Tom Cruise’s son and also starred in The Invisible? According to the Hollywood Reporter he has been cast as Goku. What? Not Gohan, but Goku. Justin Chatwin is 25 years old but doesn’t have what it takes to be a leading man, in my opinion, at least not if the leading man is a super powerful alien martial arts expert with an impossible hairdo.

It was also announced that James Marsters will play Goku’s former rival, Piccolo. Yes, that is indeed Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series and Professor Milton Fine from Smallville. If the make-up looks good I guess he could be a passable Namek. Time will tell.

James Wong (The One, Final Destination) will direct the film and Stephen Chow (Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer) will produce it. Some of their movies have been surprisingly good, but I’m still crossing my fingers, hoping all this is a cruel practical joke. If it’s not, then may Shenlong have mercy on our souls.

Digg this

0 Comments: