Sunday, January 6, 2008

Game Commercials: Street Fighter II



My most cherished video game series of all time got zero respect from Capcom USA and everyone involved in the making of this commercial. It’s ugly, bizarre, and disturbing. When I played Street Fighter II: The World Warrior I never thought of old black and white movies and dinosaurs. What the hell, man?





Now this is more like it. This was the first time I saw live-action Street Fighter characters, and they looked awesome! That M. Bison guy is wicked cool, maybe because he reminds me of Terminator 2’s Robert Patrick. Guile’s hair will never look good on a real human being, but Chun Li looks fantastic. These two short commercials were included in a GamePro/Capcom promotional video for Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition, and are better than the whole Van Damme movie.




Far better than the one for The World Warrior, but still not as cool as the Japanese ads. Here Capcom acknowledges Mortal Kombat as a threat and had Blanka literally destroy it, making an old security guy soil himself in the process. What does the ad teach us? Don’t piss Blanka off.

Digg this

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I do remember that first commercial, which I had long forgotten. Yeah...I have no idea what dinosaurs have to do with this game. Yeah, that...first one was....breathing fire (if it WAS a dinosaur...), like Dhalsim does? I guess that's supposed to be the reference. But even so...that's a really weird thing to put in a commercial. Uh, why don't you put in more things from the actual game instead of old movie footage that is not related to the game at all? You have to wonder how and why some of these commercials are actually made....

I might have seen that Genesis commercial before, but I don't really remember.

Those Japanese commercials actually look like they'd be better and more entertaining than the movie was. *shudders*....

Shin Lord said...

You mean you don't want to play Street Fighter while watching Charlie Chaplin and stop-motion monster movies? What's wrong with you?

Blanka cosplay is always frightening so I'm glad they only showed his hand in the Genesis commercial.

I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night thinking there never was a live-action Street Fighter movie. The nightmare begins when I realize I was only dreaming.